Welcome to the East Haddam Ambulance Association website. We are a volunteer ambulance organization located in the Town of East Haddam, CT, along the Connecticut River. East Haddam is the largest town by square miles within Middlesex County, with an approximate area of 54 sq. miles. Our Emergency Medical Technicians and Emergency Medical Responders provide quality emergency medical care to our patients. We welcome and encourage new membership at any time. Prospective candidates should contact us via email or directly for more information regarding membership
The East Haddam Ambulance Association was founded in 1968 with a just a handful of townspeople. In that year, the ambulance responded to 86 calls. Last year, we responded to 620 calls. The call volume currently is 600-700 calls per year and the number is expected to rise as the town grows.
Beginning in 1941 nine surrounding towns formed the Inter County Ambulance Association. Inter County included Colchester, Columbia, Marlborough, East Hampton, East Haddam, Salem, Hebron, Lebanon and Haddam Neck. The association shared the use of specially equipped 1941 Buick Roadmaster for ambulance calls. The vehicle was stationed at the Colchester State Police Barracks. One of the first directors of Inter-County was East Haddam resident, George M. Smith.
Then in 1968, Charles Wolf, Alan Kiley, Robert Ballek and Edward Wocl filed initial incorporation papers with the State of Connecticut to establish the East Haddam Ambulance Association, Inc. The East Haddam Lions Club generously donated the first used Cadillac to East Haddam for use as an ambulance. The Lions Club continued its support with volunteers and also later funded the purchase of a brand new ambulance. The corps originally used an old blue Cadillac to transport patients. Built more for speed than emergency medical transport, it lacked any of the complex equipment required on today's rigs. We now need two up-to-date, four-wheel drive ambulances in order to provide care for our patients.